[erlang-questions] Counters

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Mon Apr 25 15:27:16 CEST 2016

That's an interesting exercise. I personally wouldn't run that code
outside of tinkering/experimentation, primarily because it's not
easily used within an OTP supervisory hierarchy. That comes pretty
close to a strict rule in Erlang production systems - and in this case
in particular you'd want to formally account for your incr processes.

It's also unorthodox to use atoms that way, particularly when they can
grow unbounded by design (see Begnt's comment about memory).

I'm also trying to recollect when I ever needed a general purpose
counter. Typically any incrementing values are part of some other
process/service state. In that case, it's trivial to maintain a
counter internally. There's also ets/dets update_counter, in the event
you're keeping track of a large number of counters, or other stats as
well and it's convenient to use term storage.