[erlang-questions] Elixir vs. Erlang

Metin Akat akat.metin@REDACTED
Sun Apr 24 07:32:31 CEST 2016

I've been writing Erlang exclusively for more than 5 years now so my
opinion is certainly biased, but here are my 2 cents.

Advantages over Erlang (sorted by importance to me):

* Ability to define modules with code, instead of with new files
* The meta-programming capabilities

Disadvantages compared to Erlang (again, sorted by importance to me):

* Elixir strongly discourages the use of records. I know records are
controversial, but they are "the right choice"  for me in lots of
situations. They are faster; they get verified during compile time and as a
result editors can display errors while you are typing the code.
* Elixir gives you enough rope to hang yourself with its modules, imports
and aliasing capabilities. They are good ideas per se, but because of these
things I find it more difficult to read Elixir code than it is to read
Erlang code. On the other hand, Erlang is harder to type, but much easier
to read and understand. I tend to prefer the Erlang way.
* Elixir will always lag behind with new functionality when new Erlang
versions get released. This is normal and usually not a big deal, but
certainly a thing to be aware of.

Metin