[erlang-questions] Any Erlang Devs Contemplating Elixir?

Eric Meadows-Jönsson eric.meadows.jonsson@REDACTED
Sat Apr 23 02:54:02 CEST 2016

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 1:05 AM, Andrew Berman <rexxe98@REDACTED> wrote:

> Valid point.  Then why test on is_uri?  Every string should come back as
> true.

I'd like to reiterate what Michał Muskała said. Why are you hung up on what
a single, practically unused library is doing and judging an entire
language on it?

It's strongly recommended to not create packages like is_url, we suggest to
only publish packages that provide some minimum value and it's definitely
against the spirit of what kind of packages we would like to be pushed to
hex.pm. It's not against Hex's code of conduct to create libraries like
is_url because there is no practical way to enforce it because the limit
you draw would be somewhat arbitrary - how do you determine what's a good
or minimum viable package? There are nearly 2000 packages on hex.pm, you
are bound to found some that are tiny or of low quality if look hard enough.

To me it seems more like someone was trying out how to publish packages and
published this one as a test or for fun.

It also seems like Kenneth Lakin has a very good explanation of why
URI.parse works like it does. Let it crash is just as much a core
philosophy in Elixir as it is in Erlang and if you'd look at the rest of
the standard library that would be obvious.

--
Eric Meadows-Jönsson