[erlang-questions] Feedback wanted: Remove compilation times from BEAM files in OTP 19?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sat Apr 9 12:45:24 CEST 2016

I said this in another thread but I'll repeat it here:

I think we need repeatable builds so that if we compile the same
module several timeswith the same macros and library versions we
should get
a bit identical beam file (so we can hash the beam content and use the hash
as the key in a version control system)

What I don't know is how we should interpret the statement "the same
module" - if I correct a typo in a comment is the result "the same
module"?
I would argue that it is is not. I think a hash (md5, sha1 etc) of the source
and all the macros etc should be added to the beam file. That way
we can do a post hoc analysis of the beam code and tie together exactly
which version of the source was used.

/Joe