[erlang-questions] Erlang tracing

Philip Clarke send2philip@REDACTED
Thu Sep 24 23:58:26 CEST 2015

Hi Lukas,

One common use case for tracing I would like is the ability to trace a
function call for just the next request in the system.

Currently the PidSpec in erlang:trace/3 allows for pid, existing, new or
all.

We would use pid if we knew the pid of the next short lived process to call
a function (but we don't).
We cannot use new either as tracing a function call for all new processes
might mean that this function is traced 1000s times per second.

What I would like is some new PidSpec like 'next_pid' which would specify
that I want to trace all new processes until the function call I am tracing
has been triggered.  Once the trace is triggered then it should turn off
tracing on all processes.

e.g.
dbg:p(next_pid, call).
dbg:tp(M, F, x).

This would be a great help in my work where quite often I want to see the
typical format of a request from a client and just capturing 1 request is
enough.  I believe that libraries such as redbug have this kind of ability,
but perhaps the feature is fundamental enough to include as part of trace ?

Thanks for considering
Philip