[erlang-questions] Erlang tracing

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Mon Sep 21 15:35:26 CEST 2015

> On 21 Sep 2015, at 13:54, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> It would be great to at least be able to use the ttb at the same time as dbg. I ran into this in the past, though I can't recall exactly what my issue was.
>
> ttb also needs some love with regard to documentation. It's probably worse than dbg, and I would bet that much fewer people know about it.

During the PROTEST project, we (ESL et al) did some work on using trace-based tools combined with property validation. We had initially thought to use Inviso, but found that the better option would be to fix some things that were broken in TTB (basically, TTB did most of what we wanted, except it obviously hadn’t been tested, and didn’t work).

So some of the outcomes of this work were that OTP retired Inviso, and ESL fixed a number of things in TTB.

TTB actually uses DBG, and the things that I think are most useful to people are:
- Easily enabling trace on multiple nodes
- Fetching and merging trace logs
- User-defined formatting of the merged log
- Being able to save the command history and replaying it later.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com