[erlang-questions] ets:match_object/3 strangeness

Sverker Eriksson sverker.eriksson@REDACTED
Tue Sep 15 15:18:32 CEST 2015

ETS 'bag' and 'duplicate_bag' allow key duplicates,
but are not at all optimized for large number of duplicates.

Both hashing and iteration is only based on keys. All key duplicates will
thus end up in the same hash bucket as a linked list. All iterations
(next,prev,match,select)
have to return all duplicates in one call as there is no way to
yield/resume in the middle of
a cluster of duplicates. That is why the continuation term contains the
rest of them.

The ordering strangeness seems more like a plain bug.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP Ericsson