[erlang-questions] Custom behavior background information

Theepan vasdeveloper@REDACTED
Tue Sep 15 10:53:17 CEST 2015

A behaviour behaves in some specific way, and importantly the behaviour is
common enough (can be used repeatedly) to define it separately.

A behaviour exposes two sets of APIs. One set facilitates the communication
with external processes. The second one facilitates to define the behaviour
of it. The second set is also called call back functions.

The second set is like a contract that a call back module for a behaviour
should adhere to.

There may or may not a mapping between the two sets of APIs.

It is the responsibility of the behaviour defining module to call the
functions in the callback module when the triggering points are reached.

When you are using behaviours, you can use multiple of them meaningfully in
a single module. This is called cascading behaviours.

Theepan