[erlang-questions] Erlang in the Insurance Sector

Laura M. Castro lcastro@REDACTED
Wed Oct 14 10:27:06 CEST 2015

A few years ago, we did develop a system for risk management
(including not only incident report, but best-fitting insurance policy
determination, and also payment lifecycle processing), with an Erlang
back-end and a Java front-end. As one can imagine, pattern-matching
proved very useful in the kind of logic implementation that was
needed: the use case was that multiple insurance policies could have
been contracted that could possible be used for covering a given
incident, and a number of user-defined criteria could be used to
determine with one to use.

It started as a proof-of-concept but ended up growing into a fully
functional enterprise system that was used by a international
corporation for a number of years; I don't know which is the situation
of the system nowadays. We published a number of papers around it, you
can check them out:

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=940884
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1562879
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3166/jds.17.501-521

(if you don't have access to any of those, just let me know)