[erlang-questions] Mnesia

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Oct 14 07:24:12 CEST 2015

On 14/10/2015, at 4:19 pm, Lloyd R. Prentice <lloyd@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> So if we dig into the code, what exactly needs to change to make that happen?

How should I know?
I couldn't implement a data base to save my life.
It will certainly be more than just finding the place
where it says "2GB" and changing a number.
Things *change* at scale.

I've got a data set that's 18GB as raw text,
and a student wants to do some data mining on a recent
data set that's too big to fit on the 8GB memory stick
he keeps bringing me excerpts on; it would be a good
fit for Mnesia...

mnesia_ext + LevelDB looks really good; it would be nice
to know, on downloading a new release of Erlang/OTP, that
it would be _there_ and *the documentation integrated*.

By the way, a key fact about why Mnesia is the way it is
can be found in the documentation:
	Mnesia is primarily intended to be a
	memory-resident database.  Some of its
	design tradeoffs reflect this.
But on a 16GiB 64-bit machine (yeah, I know it's small,
but it's a couple of years old) a 32-bit limit doesn't
make as much sense for a memory-resident data base as it
used to either.