[erlang-questions] Coming Back (maybe improving lists:reverse/1)

Ivan Carmenates Garcia co7eb@REDACTED
Fri Oct 9 05:40:28 CEST 2015

Regards,

Well seems to me that there is no more optimizations for the algorithm
(except for yours 'my_reverse_join' see below), I tested yours and mine and
they both take exactly the same for the final result the unparsed "string",
well mine is 200 millisecond faster in 1 million of iterations, yours take
64XX main 62XX approx. The problem is that using lists:flatten is the hell
slow, I also tested your algorithm just after the io lists return and it is
very faster its took 14XX milliseconds, so when you use the final
lists:flatten/1 everything goes to crap, sorry about the word. So it is
amazing who faster it is and then lists:flatten by its own take the another
5 seconds, I did knew that because I read Erlang session about 7 myths off
bla bla .. and optimizations stuffs some time ago and they say lists:flatten
is slow also I tested it when I was constructing the algorithm first time I
did avoid constructing the io lists because of that.

I did clear some things like unparse well I need another name I don't like
unparse either and parse is wrong, I will come up with something.

Also I do have something to thank you, your reverse 'my_reverse_join' little
algorithm is a crack, It sped up mine in almost one second. So no need to
use lists:reverse/1 and string:join/2, thanks for that, now it takes 54XX
instead of 62XX.

I also have questions for you if you are so kind to answer.

Regards proplists, well, it is necessary to make lists of options as
proplists? yes, proplists:compact/1 and expand/1 for [a] to [{a, true}] and
all those stuffs but what I was trying to do is to make it simple for the
user, because more tuples are more complicate to write in the case of
{users, name, alias} well that could be right adding more brackets like
{users, {name, alias}} because it organizes the thing. But i.e.: I have
another algorithm for match specs in which I can do {name | {table, name} |
value, op, name | {table, name} | value } also [{..., op, ...}, ...],
logic_op, ... so it will be easy for the user to build something like
[
    [{id, '==', 1}, {age, '==', 31}],
    'or',
    {username, '==', "john"}
]

And not something like
[
   {  [{id, '==', 1}, {age, '==', 31}],  'or',  {username, '==', "john"}   }
]

It was also more easy to build the algorithm for me without the tuples for
the logic operator and I also validate it easy if other term is missing by
checking if there is a logic_op with an empty Rest in the list to unparse.

Kindly regards,
Ivan (son of Gilberio).