[erlang-questions] [erlang-bugs] Strange behaviour of exit(kill)

Soup zachary.hueras@REDACTED
Wed Oct 7 03:20:13 CEST 2015

At 9, the spawned process is killing itself with reason kill, and the shell
received a trappable exit message. At 11, the spawned process is killing
the *shell* with reason kill. That's not a trappable signal coming from
another process: it's an emulator command to kill the specified process,
and the reason kill makes it untrappable.

It's a little nuanced, but pretty straightforward otherwise. When a process
dies, it informs linked processes by way of message, which forces exit
unless the receiving process is trapping exits. *exit/2 does not produce a
message*, it tries to terminate the process. It's only converted into a
message if the process is trapping exits, and reason kill bypasses the
trapping logic.