[erlang-questions] Turn based game server in erlang

Unix One unix1@REDACTED
Sun May 31 03:54:35 CEST 2015

On 05/30/2015 02:10 PM, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
> Most turned based games I am aware of just use HTTP for (1).
>
> Using HTTP allows you to focus on (2) what you want to implement. It's
> also a very solid solution, will work better through proxies or on
> mobile networks, etc.

That's the way I was leaning as well despite the fact that the research
paper I cited leans to the other side.

Beyond the low level protocol, I have many more things to worry about on
the "administrative" side like higher level game protocol, user login,
presence, statistics, game join/start/end, processing actual game
messages/turns, managing subscriptions, timeouts, etc. It seems like
most of these are general functions that could apply to any turn-based
game to keep the game engine itself separated and only invoked via
callbacks or similar.

Maybe I'll need to whip up a minimalistic "admin" service, and an
interface between it and the game engine. BTW, thanks for the feedback.