[erlang-questions] how are implemented lists?

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Wed May 20 01:24:53 CEST 2015

On 18 May 2015 at 10:48, Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> wrote:

> To avoid confusion, let me remind you that in Erlang the only data
> structures that are shared between processes, and could thus be classified
> as "concurrent", are ETS tables.  There are no others.  So plain lists do
> not fit your needs, independently of how they may be implemented.

Actually ETS tables and the data in them aren't shared between processes,
they are only globally accessible by processes. As soon as you access an
ETS table you are copying data to/from the table and your process. Every
write copies the data to the table and every reads copies the data from the
table to the process. This is something to be aware of when working with
ETS.

Robert