[erlang-questions] Erlang microservice architecture ?

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Sat May 16 23:00:00 CEST 2015

On 16 May 2015 at 19:12, Fred Hebert <mononcqc@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 05/15, Thomas Elsgaard wrote:
>
>> If you should recommend the architecture for an microservice
>> implementatio with around 20 Erlang microservices implemented on separate
>> servers, how would you implement it ?
>>

> I would implement 20 standalone OTP applications and put them onto the
> same server, same VM. Move them out of the VM and to a different server
> if/when the need arises.

This can work. We did this with great success in one of my previous jobs.
About 20 different erlang applications, were sharing the same VM and
reusing many of the protocol interfaces. All of them were running on a
500MHz Sparc server handling about 5 million SMS a day. The best part was
that deploying a new (micro) service was simply a matter of adding a new
application into the lib directory, tweak a little bit of config and we had
a new service live. No servers to setup, firewalls to open...

cheers
Chandru