[erlang-questions] A question of style

Christopher Vance cjsvance@REDACTED
Tue Mar 17 23:56:21 CET 2015

My take on Joe's original email was that I would have preferred (going back
before my_lib was created):

-module(my_lib).
-export([parse/1]).

parse(Binary) when is_binary(Binary) ->
   ...;
parse(String) when is_list(String) ->

That way the implementation gets to decide which function clauses get done
in terms of others, and which are basic enough to have an implementation
which doesn't pass the buck elsewhere.

But of course, that wasn't the question, and with an existing library it's
not always possible to refactor like that.

Christopher Vance