[erlang-questions] NFI's and running multiple VM's

Leandro Ostera me@REDACTED
Thu Mar 12 23:45:12 CET 2015

Hello there guys,

I've been shoving tons of Erlang content down my
information-ingestion-system for the past few days, and I'll continue to do
so in the next few weeks while I embark on this strange land.

Anywho, I wanted to say hi and thank everyone who either has spoken at (or
is planning to) that appears on the Erlang Solutions vimeo videos –which
has been my main source of getting into this besides Fred Hebert's book
(got the rocking paperback edition)– or put up an article online somewhere.
Kudos for the great material.

And for a beginners question...

I was trying to use a quite old erlang wrapper around libspotify
<https://github.com/arjan/espotify>, which seems to be defining a bunch of
NIFs, to make an audio streaming server that would keep N web-based clients
playing the same audio at (give or take milliseconds) the same time. The
problem is that according to one of the source files
<https://github.com/arjan/espotify/blob/master/src/espotify_api.erl#L73-L84>,
it'd only be able to have one open Spotify session per VM, which of course
didn't sound too exciting. Is this a limitation of building the wrapper as
a set of NIFs? What'd be a way of not having these sessions attached to the
VM but instead maybe to a particular process that would take care of
buffering/streaming the audio? If the session was to stick to the VM,
what'd be a practical way of making this support 100 sessions (or upwards)?
I hope these questions make sense.

Frankly, I've been postponing this day for the past 2 years or so.
Hopefully it's the right time now :)

Thanks and cheers!
Leandro

--