[erlang-questions] Design patterns?

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Tue Mar 3 14:45:20 CET 2015

A quick thought on the case vs function question...

I personally tend to eventually replace case expressions shortly after
writing them as at that point it becomes clearer to me "what's going on"
there. If a well named function can clarify what's gong on, I'll use it.
Otherwise I leave the case expression alone.

I end up with very few case expressions.

I think the example you give - translating the shape of some result - is
arguably a good one for sticking with case... As a function can start to
take more effort to understand at a glance than the case.

I'd stick with the rule "make it obvious what's going on" and use your best
judgment along the way. If you're working with a team, see what people like
over time and converge on that.