[erlang-questions] Who is interested in an Erlang Performance Improvement Book?

Alexander Shorin kxepal@REDACTED
Fri Aug 14 14:12:15 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> In other words: we have fantastic test tools to ensure we don't add new bugs
> with each commit; what would you do to make sure you don't kill performance
> with each commit?
>
> A good answer to that alone would be worth a thousand books on performance.

Golang had used special benchmark test suite which ran on each commit
against various configurations[1] and it was quite trivial to detect
which commit caused performance and for what case, but suddenly it
doesn't works anymore. Some bits web archive still remember[2] about
how it looked like.

But in general, solution of this problem is the same: make benchmarks
as yet another test suite and track how long it being executed, not
just ok/error status. At some point turning integration tests into
benchmarks might be good idea.

[1]: http://build.golang.org/perfgraph
[2]: https://web.archive.org/web/20140825015726/http://build.golang.org/perfgraph

--