[erlang-questions] Programmatic interface to the shell

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon Aug 10 14:22:28 CEST 2015

Hello,

Is there a *simple* programmatic interface to the Erlang shell?

I'd like a module "shell_interface" that works like this:

      Pid = shell_interface:new_shell(),

Returns a new process that behaves like the Erlang shell

      OutStr = shell_interface:eval(Pid, InStr)

This behaves like the Erlang shell. InStr should be what I typed into the
shell. OutStr should be what the shell replied.

For this purpose we can assume that InStr represents a complete
sequence of expressions.

<aside: and yes - I know about erl_eval and user_drv etc. which is why
I said *simple* >

Cheers

/Joe