[erlang-questions] Corrupted term on distribution channel from a C-Node

Peter Membrey peter@REDACTED
Thu Apr 30 06:31:48 CEST 2015

Hi guys,

Might be getting a little closer :)

It looks like the cookie itself is not corrupted. I've gone over network captures and it seems none of the SEND messages actually include the cookie. In fact I wasn't able to find the cookie "in the clear" anywhere between the time the connection was made and when it was closed. However the next thing that should come after the cookie is the destination PID and this seems to be where we're seeing the problem.

I've been able to sort of replicate it in development, in that I can now get it to crash within 30 minutes or so, rather than waiting 6 months and praying. If I run it under strace or valgrind, the problem appears to go away (good old Heisenbug).

I've added code to print the node name part of the struct when it diverges from what I expect. So far this code has not been triggered, even though it has still crashed. This suggests that the PID struct is probably good. This PID struct is passed directly to ei_send.

>From the network capture I can confirm that a corrupt PID was sent on the wire. Interestingly however, there were valid messages before it and valid messages after it which suggests it's not a global state issue.

I'll continue to dig into this. Right now I suspect we're passing dodgy PIDs to ei_send, but is it possible that ei_send is doing something funky?

As always and feedback or ideas gratefully received :)

Kind Regards,

Peter Membrey