[erlang-questions] Error in Common Tests

Peter Andersson peppe@REDACTED
Wed Apr 29 15:27:52 CEST 2015

Roberto,

You won't get test case line info if it's the last line of execution
that causes the timetrap timeout. Because of tail call elimination the
{Suite,Testcase,Line} info is not saved on stack unless there's a
trailing expression. I.e.

tc(_) -> func_that_may_not_return().

will not generate test case line info if it fails, but

tc(_) -> func_that_may_not_return(), ok.

will.

That said, Common Test removes internal common_test and test_server
elements from the stack before printing the stack trace to the log. This
operation is too agressive and removes all elements if no
{Suite,Testcase,Line} tuple is found "to sync with". Knowing it must be
the last call in the test case causing the timeout and knowing which
internal function executed the test case, I should be able to print
relevant stack info to the log even when a test case tuple is not
present due to tail call elimination. Fix is coming asap...

Best,
Peter

Ericsson AB, Erlang/OTP