[erlang-questions] Measuring message queue delay

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Wed Apr 29 13:55:57 CEST 2015

On 29 April 2015 at 12:24, Robert Raschke <rtrlists@REDACTED> wrote:
> maybe you can use the tracing facilities of Erlang. At a low level it is
> reasonably easy to use erlang: trace/3 with options
> [send,'receive',timestamp] and get all messages from designated processes
> with timestamps sent to a "tracer" process.

Ah, I *was* looking in the seq_trace stuff, but I missed the bit about
timestamps. This is useful to know, thanks.

> You can then do whatever analysis you need on that.

Hmm, this is ultimately intended for publishing to graphite, rather
than for live inspection. This means that designating specific
processes is problematic. What impact would there be having this
permanently enabled for, say, 30K processes in production? I assume
that the "tracer" process would get hammered?