[erlang-questions] Private key encryption

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed Apr 15 11:49:18 CEST 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Marcus Nilsson <tandy.nilsson@REDACTED> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Martin and helping me with this.
>
> The reason for doing this is that I want to share the files with a few people.
> After getting a better understanding of how this works I changed the
> my approach to this.
>
> Encryption
> 1. A shared secret is generated in the following form [Key, IV]
> 2. This secret is then used to encrypt the binary with aes_cfb128 a
> symmetric block encryption algo
> 3. The secret is then encrypted with the private key with RSA a
> asymmetric encryption algo
> 4. Both the encrypted shared secret and content is concatenated in the
> output file like this <<SharedSecretLength, EncryptedSecret,
> EncryptedContent>>
>
> Decryption

One alternative you might like to consider is making the envelope with
term_to_binary
To encode say

    Bin = term_to_binary({rsa_aes, EncryptedSecret, EncryptedContent})

and to decode

   {Tag, X, Y} = binary_to_term(Bin)

The tag tells how the arguments were encrypted - this can be extended
to make multiple nested containers
(rather like the ASN.1 containers used in RSA etc. but far easier :-)

/Joe