[erlang-questions] Erlang tls dist issues

Ryan Bamford ryan.bamford@REDACTED
Thu Apr 9 11:33:28 CEST 2015

Hi am having an issue with the use of inet_tls_dist.while using rabbitmq

Setup -  I have a 3 node rabbit cluster running on 3 separate centos machines

In the erlang otp we have fixed the issue of SSL not binding to the correct ports (respecting the inet_dist_listen_min and inet_dist_listen_max values) porting the code from the tcp_dist

the final issue we are having is in the restarting of the nodes

on running a rabbitmqctl stop MOST of the time in the other 2 nodes we get the error in the log

=ERROR REPORT==== 8-Apr-2015::16:36:45 ===
SSL: connection: ssl_alert.erl:92:Fatal error: internal error

the stack trace from the error area the error is created is

[{ssl_alert,decode,3,[{file,"ssl_alert.erl"},{line,92}]},
  {tls_connection,next_state,4,[{file,"tls_connection.erl"},{line,400}]},
  {gen_fsm,handle_msg,7,[{file,"gen_fsm.erl"},{line,503}]},
  {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,237}]}]

this does not occur when doing rabbitmqctl stop_app

Due to this we can see that the issue happens in the halt
stop_and_halt() ->

    try

        stop()

    after

        rabbit_log:info("Halting Erlang VM~n", []),

        init:stop()

    end,

    ok.

when it does the init:stop() in the init.erl

what it seems to be is a corrupted message being sent at the point when the ssl distriibution is being closed

in the instances when is operates correctly

the SSL close message is received in loop_con (in the tls_proxy) at which point it calls the tcp close

then the message

=INFO REPORT==== 8-Apr-2015::16:10:34 ===
node 'rabbit@REDACTED' down: connection_closed

is shown

when it errors we never reach the receipt of the ssl close

Dont know if anyone has seen this before

looking for any help if they have

sorry if ive missed anything I am quite an erlang noob

Regards
Ryan

--

Ryan Bamford
Senior Research & Development Engineer

Eckoh UK Limited
Telford House, Corner Hall
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP3 9HN

T 01442 458316
M n/a
W www.eckoh.com

[cid:imageddfd0a.PNG@REDACTED]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/eckoh-plc> [cid:image24bae3.PNG@REDACTED] <http://twitter.com/Eckoh>

US Headquarters:
Eckoh, Inc.
11811 N. Tatum Blvd., Suite 3031
Phoenix, AZ  85028

This communication contains information, which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error please return it to the sender and then delete it. Opinions expressed in this message are those of the author, and are not binding on the company.
Registered in England and Wales, No. 2796531
Registered office: Telford House, Corner Hall, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP3 9HN
A member of the Eckoh Plc group of companies.