[erlang-questions] Question about the VM

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Thu Sep 25 21:52:10 CEST 2014

Last time I tried manually changing a map/2 function to a "native loop" with simple jumps, I couldn't compile using BEAM optimisation passes because liveness analysis currently cannot cope with a backwards jump (e.g. {label,2}. ... {jump,{f,2}}):

$ bin/erlc foo.S
Function: map/3
foo.S: internal error in beam_block;
crash reason: {case_clause,
    {'EXIT',
        {function_clause,
            [{gb_trees,get_1,[10,nil],[{file,"gb_trees.erl"},{line,239}]},
             {beam_utils,live_opt,4,[{file,"beam_utils.erl"},{line,687}]},
             {beam_utils,live_opt,1,[{file,"beam_utils.erl"},{line,207}]},
             {beam_block,function,2,[{file,"beam_block.erl"},{line,38}]},
             {lists,mapfoldl,3,[{file,"lists.erl"},{line,1352}]},
             {lists,mapfoldl,3,[{file,"lists.erl"},{line,1353}]},
             {beam_block,module,2,[{file,"beam_block.erl"},{line,29}]},
             {compile,'-select_passes/2-anonymous-2-',2,
                 [{file,"compile.erl"},{line,495}]}]}}}

  in function  compile:'-select_passes/2-anonymous-2-'/2 (compile.erl, line 495)
  in call from compile:'-internal_comp/4-anonymous-1-'/2 (compile.erl, line 292)
  in call from compile:fold_comp/3 (compile.erl, line 310)
  in call from compile:internal_comp/4 (compile.erl, line 294)
  in call from compile:'-do_compile/2-anonymous-0-'/2 (compile.erl, line 153)

Without the BEAM optimisations (+no_postopt), compilation succeeds.

foo.S, for reference:

	https://gist.githubusercontent.com/nox/264ca631ef2d8b9d8ce1/raw/1421204b0f360af0f3abc372675d0b85dd455d1b/foo.S

For the other points, see what Björn-Egil said. AFAIK only calls and gc-inducing instructions can yield.