[erlang-questions] zlib design flaw?

Park, Sungjin jinni.park@REDACTED
Wed Sep 24 10:01:55 CEST 2014

Chris, you can call me Sungjin as it's my first name.

The problem is that the server crashes with out-of-memory as soon as it
reads all the data.  I have no chance to decide whether to drop or not
before the zlib library tosses those big binaries.  So what I want is to
let the zlib library toss moderate sized fragments of the inflated data so
that I might stop processing further so as not to crash whole vm.

And I also think this is kind of serious problem that I can kill any web
server written in erlang in this simple way.  Choosing appropriate
compression scheme according to content type is, sorry, not the answer to
the topic I originally issued.  I was issuing a security problem against
malicious hackers who send one megabytes of deflated zeros pretending to be
images.  Every those fake images will consume gigabytes of system memory
with inflated zero binary as Guilherme noted.

--
Park, Sungjin
Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god.