[erlang-questions] Inter-node communication bottleneck

Jihyun Yu yjh0502@REDACTED
Mon Sep 8 23:46:16 CEST 2014

Hi,

Summerizing benchmark result in terms of bandwidth is misleading and my
mistake. I wanted to talk about overhead of small messages, and how many
inter-node messages Erlang can handle.

My initial question was about bottleneck on inter-node messaging [1],
and with some tuning, throughput could be increased about 0.5M messages
per second. I thought that the problem is on using single TCP
connections to handle all messages from multiple processes, and
throughput (# of msgs/sec) might be increased with multiple TCP
connections [2].

It seems that Erlang messaging with multiple nodes does not scale with
number of CPUs, even with multiple TCP connections. For example in my
test environment, P=2 shows 1.5M msgs/sec with ~18% usr+sys CPU, and
P=12 shows 1.8M msgs/sec with ~90% usr+sys CPU. It seems that Erlang VM
cannot handle more than 2M messages without explicit tuning like message
batching.

2M msgs/sec, or even 0.5M msgs/sec might enough for most use cases, so
it might not a problem.

[1] http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2014-August/080598.html
[2] http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2014-August/080643.html