[erlang-questions] apparent memory leak in OTP 17

Fri Sep 5 19:44:21 CEST 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Is that enough of a problem you'd want to see an option to disable the
> sub-binary and instead make out of the source binary?

Yes and no. If you end up copying the data to another process, the problem
goes away. It is a hard call, because the safest solution is to copy. But
at times, you want the other option and then you pin a couple binaries with
binary:copy/1 in order to achieve speed. I don't know how many have been
hit by this in practice.

My call is that if it is a lot, the default should probably be the safe
bet. And then you have an option for the faster code path.

--
J.