[erlang-questions] apparent memory leak in OTP 17

mats cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Fri Sep 5 13:31:40 CEST 2014

  I have an application (a web server using cowboy and jiffy) that keeps
getting killed by the Linux out-of-memory assassin.
  This is rather unsurprising given that the emulator seems to allocate a
factor of 1000 times more memory than it uses.
  E.g., in the snapshot below, erlang:memory/0 reports memory usage of ~500
Mb, while /proc/self/stat reports ~600 Gb.
  Digging into the allocator info reveals that the binary_alloc / mbcs_pool
allocator has booked 606086.75 Mb, and uses 357.35 Mb.
  For the brave, I have attached a file full of system data.