[erlang-questions] Erlang and Akka

Tue Sep 2 18:07:41 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Youngkin, Rich <richard.youngkin@REDACTED
> wrote:

> Is this true of Erlang libraries that use NIFs and or Port drivers?
> Specifically, I'm thinking of blocking the VM scheduler(s).

No, not in general. Correctly written NIFs executing on dirty schedulers
and correctly written port drivers does not have these problems. Also, just
because you have the Erlang tooling available doesn't automatically give
you the magic:

* You can still overflow the atom table
* You can still spawn non-linked processes that never stop leading to
memory exhaustion
* You can still deadlock the system

Mind you, it is *hard* to do these things in Erlang if you just adhere to
some simple basic rules. But you end up seeing it all over time.

--
J.