[erlang-questions] Process state and sensitive information

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Tue Sep 2 10:13:52 CEST 2014

The idea behind the process_flag(sensitive, true) function was to let you disable trace and introspection. As background info, tele- and datacoms systems must usually provide support for ‘Lawful Intercept’ [1], i.e. wiretapping by the authorities. It should not be ‘possible' for a human operator or service technician, even with console access, to see which phones are being monitored… for some pragmatic interpretation of ‘possible’.

This is of course hard to accomplish with Erlang, but we decided that a sufficient level of security could be achieved by combining private ets tables, process_flag(sensitive, true), secure shell, a carefully limited Bash shell and audit logging. Basically, you shouldn’t be able to inspect the sensitive data without somehow brutalizing the system, and this would show up in the audit log.

Now, if the perpetrator has root access and physical access to the machine, it becomes trickier, but then, one has to rely on physical premises security and surveillance.

BR,
Ulf W

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawful_interception