[erlang-questions] Looking for tricky protocol examples for verification research

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Fri Oct 31 05:47:31 CET 2014

In other words, you want to define a contractual way that different processes
can verify the external behavior of one another, instead of doing the actor
version of duck typing that we tend to use all the time?

If this is a runtime thing (and it would have to be in the case of empty
processes which get assigned their behavior at runtime), then there would have
to be a way to interrogate a process and ask it what messages it listens for
and what the return type (if any) or side effects (if any) of receipt of those
would be. Actually, it wouldn't be hard to write a framework or behavior that
did exactly that. You would, as always, be depending on the programmer to not
forget things and for processes to always tell the truth (consider the games
we play with Dialyzer).

Is this sort of what you are getting at?

-Craig