[erlang-questions] Examples of Common Test in apps built with rebar/relx?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Oct 27 23:37:04 CET 2014

I wouldn't show Cowboy's test suites to a beginner. There's a lot of
things that are unusual there from the cowboy_test module to a ct hook
and error_logger handler.

It also does not use rebar, but erlang.mk instead. Rebar making
common_test runs very slow was the very first thing that made me move
toward using Make and ultimately writing erlang.mk.

It also does not use relx, although that's a smaller concern because
Cowboy is just an Erlang application and not a whole system. I am not
aware of people who run relx releases from inside common_test, although
that's something I wish I could do sometimes.

On 10/27/2014 11:10 PM, Alex Shneyderman wrote:
> https://github.com/ninenines/cowboy/blob/master/test/http_SUITE.erl
>
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Nathan Fiedler <nathanfiedler@REDACTED
> <mailto:nathanfiedler@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     I'm a beginner, so bear in mind I may be doing all of this
>     incorrectly. I started with Fred Hebert's How I Start tutorial [1]
>     and went from there. I have a very simple application that is built
>     and assembled using a combination of rebar and relx; that much
>     works. I have a single eunit test that exercises the one operation I
>     have implemented to date. So far, so good. I would like to instead
>     use Common Test, but I've run into a problem: noproc error.
>     Apparently something is not getting started when I run ct but is
>     fine with eunit and when I run the application manually.
>
>     Looking around for examples, I found ejabberd, but I'm not certain I
>     understand how it's wired together, much less tested.
>
>     My question to the group is, do you have any favorite (open source)
>     examples of applications that use Common Test and are assembled with
>     rebar and relx? I am being specific because it seems to me that the
>     tools have a big impact on how the code is setup and started.
>
>     Thanks

>     [1] http://howistart.org/posts/erlang/1

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu