[erlang-questions] Truncated error reports

Björn-Egil Dahlberg wallentin.dahlberg@REDACTED
Sat Oct 25 17:16:25 CEST 2014

There is a currently a Pull Request that deals with this:
https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/359

I believe that PR will make into master in one form or another.

Why is the error truncated in the first place? If I had to guess, and sadly
I have to, I think it has to do with memory and copying.

When a process terminates with an error, it could potentially have a very
large message (state and stacktrace) which is then sent to the error logger.
Currently, before the error message is sent by the dying process it will
truncate the message to 200 (default) characters. This means  we have less
to copy and we are less likely to kill the system, i.e. we have more
control.
So, if not truncated it could in the worst case kill the system. See my
last entry in the PR for an example.

I think the heart of the matter is that we have less control when a process
dies and thus have no control over what the error message is or  more
importantly how large it is. So we truncate it to have some control.
The problem is compounded by the lack of sharing of terms.

Aside: In this particular case of error message propagation it should be
possible to just give the heap of the dying process as a heap fragment to
the receiving process. The dying process should't need it anyway. No copy
should be needed.

// Björn-Egil