[erlang-questions] Starting application with dependences [newbie]

Carlo Pires carlopires@REDACTED
Fri Oct 3 21:14:07 CEST 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to start and application from erlang REPL and got the message:

2> application:start(echo_test).
{error,{not_started,erlzmq}}

But erlzmq is listed in applications section of OTP app file:

{application, echo_test,
 [
  {description, "Echo test with erlzmq2"},
  {vsn, "1"},
  {modules, [echo_test, echo_test_sup, echo_test_app]},
  {registered, [echo_test_sup]},
  {applications, [kernel, stdlib, erlzmq]},
  {mod, {echo_test_app, []}},
  {env, []}
 ]}.

Looking at some apps from github I noticed the use of a mechanism like
*ensure_app_start* in each app:start() function.

So, Isn't supposed that erlang OTP app controller will start the dependent
applications listed in app file? What am I missing here?

--
  Carlo Pires