[erlang-questions] Weird behavior with the visual debugger.

Dan Gudmundsson dgud@REDACTED
Wed Nov 26 10:49:18 CET 2014

There is no way around timeouts without modifying your code, what I try to
say is:
write your code so that the timeouts are macros and infinity when debug
compiled.

Something like this (untested):

-ifdef(DEBUG).
-define(TIMEOUT(TIME), inifinity).
-else.
-define(TIMEOUT(TIME), (TIME)).
-endif.

fetch(Data) ->
     gen_server:call(server, {Fetch,Data}, ?TIMEOUT(5000)).

or

receive Msg -> do_something(Msg)
after ?TIMEOUT(5000) -> timeout
end.