[erlang-questions] Distributed application and netsplit

Raoul Duke raould@REDACTED
Wed Nov 19 19:26:45 CET 2014

> keeps running on both nodes after recovery from netsplit. However I
> doubt it will be considered a bug. Most likely, it is missing feature
> to be able to fix the situation explicitly.

The wording continues to worry me. There is not feature that will fix
the situation in the largest sense. You acknowledge that already so I
know you know it. :-) So what I would urge us to say is that we want
there to be a signal after the network heals. Expectation of how soon
after the healing the signal will get through, however, must be
carefully constrained.

I assume what people would do is a "simply" ping constantly. It could
be a star-network ping, it could be a P2P ping, it could be a
broadcast ping... Even with this, there are many ways to skin the
chicken. It will depend on each situation: What the application's
network is like in the first place. I would hazard to guess.