[erlang-questions] What can I only do in Erlang?

Garry Hodgson garry@REDACTED
Wed Nov 5 18:13:04 CET 2014

on the theme of "much easier in erlang", here's what i'd do:

write a little python or shell program that loops forever,
sleeping for 10 seconds and writing a message including its pid.

next write a gen_server that spawns one of those as
a port process, reads those messages and logs
them. include startup and "it died" log entries.

now write an erlang/otp app that uses supervision tree to
spawn a few of those. fire it up, tail the logs, show it all
works, with erlang managing apps in other languages.
now kill one of the external process and watch it magically
restart, with shiny new pid as proof.

for extra credit, run this on two nodes, using distributed
application feature. change log message to include hostname
as well as pid. show it running, then kill erlang on one
of the nodes. show it still runnning. start it up again,
then kill the other. repeat as needed to get the point across.

i'm guessing this would all be a few dozen lines of code.
you could do it in other languages, but i really doubt it would
be as easy, or as robust.