[erlang-questions] Erlang for youngsters

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Mon Jun 30 11:54:29 CEST 2014

On 30 June 2014 08:47, Torben Hoffmann <torben.hoffmann@REDACTED
> wrote:

> I think one of the issues is that structure is inherently a visual thing -
> at least
> to me - and that means that some sort of visualisation is necessary to get
> the full
> picture.

The thing to remember is that different people "see it" differently. I find
the visual clutter of diagrams tedious and very hard to read :-)

I think there must be both, textual and visual, in order to convey
something to a wider audience, as some will prefer text, some diagrams, and
some like both.

In a previous life, during the requirements gathering phase, I would
capture business logic as a kind of textual "given-when-then" list of
bullets, as well as draw a state chart diagram, in order to try my best at
getting useful feedback from the client on the veracity of the designed
logic.

The ideal system allows you to move back and forth between textual and
visual notation, with neither missing anything from the other. This is hard
to achieve, though :-( And my fear is that such a system would only capture
the intersection of what the two methods provide. Leading to a useless
system, as each (text or visualisation) would provide benefits not nicely
expressible in the other. Is there research in this area that can be tapped
into?

Regards,
Robby