[erlang-questions] Erlang for youngsters

Torben Hoffmann torben.hoffmann@REDACTED
Mon Jun 30 09:53:25 CEST 2014

Lloyd R. Prentice writes:

> Hi Torben,
>
> Good thoughts.
>
> But note re:
>
>> Going embedded means that doing things with graphics is impossible.
>> On a computer we could tap into graphical libraries, say Processing, and create a
>> very visual feedback.
>
>  Odroid U3 runs Ubuntu, has HD HDMI graphics with a fairly powerful graphic coprocessor.
>
> It also has an active community and a very attractive magazine packed with interesting projects:
>
> magazine.odroid.com
>
> I don't want to overly pitch the case since I haven't fired it up and can't speak to warts. But based on printed specs and price/performance, this is a very interesting device.
>
> Summary of specs
>
> Hardkernel lists these specifications for the Odroid-U3:
>
> Processor — Samsung Exynos 4412 Prime SoC:
> CPU — Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9, clocked at 1.7GHz
> GPU — 3D accelerator Mali-400 Quad Core 440MHz
> RAM — 2GB LP-DDR2 SDRAM
> Storage:
> MicroSD card socket
> eMMC module socket
> HDMI video interface:
> Supports 1080p (H.264+AAC based MP4 container format)
> micro HDMI connector
> Audio — 3.5mm headphone jack
> LAN — 10/100Mb Ethernet (RJ-45 Jack)
> USB:
> 3x USB2.0 Host ports (standard A type connectors)
> 1x USB2.0 OTG Device port (Micro USB)
> 8-pin I/O expansion header — UART, IRQ, I2C, GPIO, power
> Power — 5VDC @ 2A
> Operating system — Xubuntu 13.10; U-Boot 2010.12; Linux kernel 3.0.x; Android 4.x
> Dimensions — 83 x 48 x 22mm (with heatsink)
> Weight — 48g (with heatsink)
>
> More here:
>
> http://blog.hsc.com/android/technology-trends/raspberry-pi-vs-odroid-u3/
>
> http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

Hi Lloyd,

I can see that my prejudice about the power of these platforms is wrong.

The Odroid-U3 combined with ezLCD (which Richard O'Keefe mentioned) could actually be
an interesting platform.

Still worried about the time that hardware always consumes...

Cheers,
Torben
--
Torben Hoffmann