[erlang-questions] Erlang is *not* a implementation of the Actor model Re: Go vs Erlang for distribution

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Wed Jun 25 17:20:09 CEST 2014

> On Wednesday 25 June 2014 00:09:35 Robert Virding wrote:
>> I think it is very lucky that we weren't interested in, or worried about,
>> the theoretical aspects, or that we had heard about the actor model. If we
>> had we would probably still be discussing whether we were doing the actor
>> model and which parts of it, or where we differed and how important that
>> was? Or should we differ and maybe we should drop the differences to we
>> would comply, etc ... :-)
>>
>> We were trying to solve *THE* problem and this was the best solution we
>> could come with. It was purely pragmatic. We definitely took ideas from
>> other inputs but not from the Actor model.

Robert, I know it's probably documented somewhere, but...
1. what do (did) you see as "*THE* problem" you were trying to solve at
the time
2. what sources DID you draw from (other than the predecessor languages
at Ericsson), are there any that you'd consider primary influences?

Thanks!

Miles