[erlang-questions] Erlang is *not* a implementation of the Actor model Re: Go vs Erlang for distribution

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Mon Jun 23 04:40:53 CEST 2014

On Monday 23 June 2014 11:22:36 Ngoc Dao wrote:
> > In many ways an Erlang system does have an OS feeling about it. At least
>
> I think so.
>
> I think so, too:
> http://www.slideshare.net/ngocdaothanh/cloud-erlang

I enjoyed the abbreviated cut-down (once I got over the use of the empty,
warped, buzzsound term "cloud"... its necessary to attract attention from a
certain type of party, but they aren't the sort who are really going to
embrace what you have to say).  Its a good reference to explain why Erlang
implies a lot more than just a language. Much better, I think, to do like
you've done here and treat Erlang/OTP as a system that supports a very
different model of computation than most folks are accustomed to than to start
them on the language syntax first.

Actually, quite a few interesting early attempts at explaining Erlang as a
system up-front have come out over the last few threads. Most of this stuff is
unpolished, but represents a lot of effort in a good direction.