[erlang-questions] Erlang for youngsters

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Sat Jun 21 01:30:21 CEST 2014

On Saturday 21 June 2014 00:32:15 Mark Nijhof wrote:
> > You need one more thing to teach *kids*: don't treat them like kids.
> > Consider them equal to you and your peers and respect them.
>
> This!

Most important part of the discussion has been reached. You can't force a kid
to understand anything, and you can't force a kid to want to understand
anything. You're best hope is to get them interested in something on their own
terms. Once they want to know something, find it gives them power, becomes
part of their internal goal set -- you'd be hard pressed to prevent a child
from acquiring knowledge, even if you forbid it (maybe especially if you
forbid it).

Its almost like... they are people or something.

I believe in the idea of teaching by simplified abstraction, and then
successive replacement of any current concept model by more complex and
accurate models. Nothing about this is specific to children. Abstracting away
the confusing bits is different from developing a "child friendly" version of
a course of study. In particular, the kids you'd really hope get interested in
this stuff are the very ones that would subconsciously reject the "child safe"
version of whatever cirricula you hope to convey.

(The idea that interest is a prerequisit to non-trivial intellectual pursuits
does not sit well with some people; because it follows that most people (not
just kids) aren't going to understand most things, especially programming,
because most people aren't interested and therefore will forever remain
unsuited to such study.)