[erlang-questions] Erlang for youngsters

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Sat Jun 21 00:29:09 CEST 2014

On 06/20/2014 11:07 PM, Torben Hoffmann wrote:
> The Erlang way = The Golden Trinity of Erlang = share nothing + fail fast +
> supervision.

I wouldn't say Elixir "fails fast". Rebinding by default is a *terrible*
choice for that.

> Having an easy to work with eco-system and consistent libraries are way more
> important when you want to teach things.

Wishful thinking about consistent libraries. English is probably the
best counter example of that, it's full of special cases. Doesn't stop
anyone. Another example could be PHP which is not consistent at all and
yet really easy to learn.

You need exactly two things to learn: a feedback loop, and motivation.
The former needs to be at a different pace depending on the person and
the thing being learnt.

You need one more thing to teach *kids*: don't treat them like kids.
Consider them equal to you and your peers and respect them.

> Sorry if I have confused things with the badly chosen subject and imprecise
> statements.

I'm not surprised by Peer's reaction at all.

So far to me this is really a thread about you wanting to teach kids
Elixir. I've avoided it so far because every time I say something
negative about Elixir, people's feelings get hurt.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu