[erlang-questions] Why (not) hot code loading

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Fri Jun 20 20:02:21 CEST 2014

I've never had a situation where I've needed hot code loading, but a project
that may be a good fit with this feature is looming (and may not be a good fit
-- I have much to learn about this feature). Nearly all the advice I see on
this is to avoid it in production, which seems highly ironic, since this
feature was designed specifically to ease certain cases of production.

The advice against using it mostly comes from tutorials, presentations and
asides made by various speakers in talks I've seen. I don't have a canonical
"don't use hot code loading" reference, but I have exactly zero references
which urge the use of this feature and explain in depth how to integrate it
with a release cycle.

But someone worked a long time figuring out how to make this a part of the
runtime, so...

Is this feature:
A) "Hard" to use because it is far outside the experience of the average Java-
or web-developer-turned-Erlanger who tends to give talks about Erlang.
B) "Hard" to use because it is actually hard: a technically complex feature
for which little scaffolding is available for easy integration.
C) Actually not very useful.
D) People have been trained to accept maintenance downtime and believe that
loadbalancers are the answer to everything?

Most of the best tools I've ever used fell into category (A), so I wonder if
that is the case with this feature. Some things I've really liked in
environments like Guile fell into category (B), which was nice because after
some thorough study something complex but understandable can be abstracted and
made easy to use. I have a hard time believing that this feature actually
falls into category (C), feeling it is much more likely that widespread
acceptable of the (D) view simply obviates much deep thought on the utility of
it in the first place -- especially since so much focus, even within the
Erlang community these days, is on the web and not other areas.

Can anyone provide some insight into this? I'd rather get some opinions now
than spend time getting to the bottom of a relatively untaught feature only to
find that it wasn't very useful.

-Craig