[erlang-questions] node.js vs erlang

Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya mahesh@REDACTED
Fri Jun 20 15:55:29 CEST 2014

"What Loïc said".
I mean, people have been arguing about Syntax since lord knows when, and
its never going to stop.
e.g., Why does Loïc have that stupid "two dots" thing on his name anyhow?
 Whats wrong with a good old "i"? The french are sooo <insert gratuitous
insult here>.
Syntax is not semantics
<http://dieswaytoofast.blogspot.com/2013/12/syntax-why-so-caremad.html?q=syntax>
-
this is a pretty hard lesson to learn (not so strangely enough, people that
speak more than one language tend to freak out less about this).

Cheers

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> I mean what.
>

> On 06/20/2014 02:54 PM, Leonard Boyce wrote:
>
>> 2) "What the hell is with the crazy 'defacto' indentation. I don't use
>> or want to learn to use emacs, I'm perfectly happy with Sublime."
>>

> Why the hell are they not using Sublime? What's this 'defacto' indentation
> thing you mention? Most people write Erlang in their favorite editor. I use
> vim without any plugins myself.
>

>  3) "TDD is extremely painful. What should I be writing tests for?"
>>

> If it's painful then they're not doing it right. They should write tests
> for exactly the things they test manually. Doesn't need to be more than
> that at the beginning, tests can get added over time.
>

>  5) "No unicode aware/safe string library? wtf? Lists of integers?
>> Binaries? Why in deities name does it have to be so convoluted?"
>>

> I'm not sure why they would say that. It's not like JS has good Unicode
> support either. Erlang has a number of ICU bindings available if you do
> need Unicode though.
>

>  7) "Dialyzer is dog slow"
>>

> Is it? Are they rebuilding the PLT all the time? It never takes more than
> 10s to dialyze for me on the bigger projects (usually < 2s though). Much
> faster than running tests (especially running tests by hand if that's what
> they'd prefer doing).
>

>  8) "What's up with the documentation organization? Why do I have to
>> use google to be able to find anything in the official docs?
>> Navigating the docs is crazy, I feel like it's still 1998"
>>

> ???
>
> http://www.erlang.org/erldoc
>
> It sounds a lot like you/they're making their life harder than it should
> be.
>

> --
> Loïc Hoguin
> http://ninenines.eu