[erlang-questions] node.js vs erlang

John Kemp john@REDACTED
Thu Jun 19 12:53:58 CEST 2014

On 06/19/2014 05:07 AM, Ivan Uemlianin wrote:
> Afaics nodejs is aimed squarely at people who (a) only know javascript,

What is wrong with that? Cowboy is aimed at people who know Erlang.
Rails is aimed at people who know Ruby.

Personally, I program in several languages, including Javascript. I
found node easy to write because of my Javascript experience, mostly
because of how callbacks are used. But I don't "only know Javascript".

> and (b) don't want to learn any other programming languages.  For this
> market segment, I can certainly imagine nodejs is very exciting.

Eh?

I try to regularly evaluate new languages and platforms to use, and I
doubt I'm the only person who does that.

Node was exciting (to me) because it promised a nice solution to the
I/O-bound scenarios which (I think) Aaron described in pretty good
detail. "Event-driven, non-blocking I/O, server-side Javascript". Node
delivers on those fronts, just like it says it does. It doesn't matter
that there are better things out there (for some definition of better).
Yes, there is hype around node. And yes, it has problems too. But the
platform does have benefits.

Disparaging the platform or the people who use it seems less than
helpful. Helping aid in the understanding of how Erlang compares to node
may be more helpful.

- johnk