[erlang-questions] Erlang for youngsters

Torben Hoffmann torben.hoffmann@REDACTED
Mon Jun 16 21:43:19 CEST 2014

Hi Evgeny,

Evgeny M writes:

> Imo the best tutorial for a beginner in any language (for someone who has
> experience in other ones) is something intermediate and familiar using some
> ready framework. Some thing which allows him/her to write in a hour
> something he used to build in other language. Often it is possible to do
> this even without knowing the language almost altogether. Like, tutorial on
> Django is a great way to start learning python. Something like this could
> be created for Erlang, either over pure Cowboy, or ChicagoBoss, or
> whatever. Just a dumb step by step (type this, run that) tutorial which can
> be done by anyone who has any programming background. In the end there will
> be a working site with forms, POSTs and other fancy stuff. I for one
> learned myself both python and erlang exactly this way (using Django and
> CB), skipping all the boring stuff.
> Doing hellowords, compiling modules, doing releases and other stuff like
> that is really very boring. You can do it later.

For people with experiences in programming I think your suggestions are very valid.

> Also I'd say talking about concurrency should start with OTP, and introduce
> spawn() later. First, OTP gen_server is just easier than standard
> spawn/receive  for anyone with OO background. Second,  spawn/receive is too
> similar to standard approaches to multithreading in mainstream languages
> and it is harder to see all the benefits of Erlang supervision and workers.

That is probably true. OTP should fit OO people just fine.

> Erlang as a language looks very hard for two weeks, then it suddenly
> becomes very easy (as a language, concurrency is always hard).
Good observation!
> Recursion is hard in any language without pattern matching.
Good point - I actually never thought about like that.

Cheers,
Torben
--
Torben Hoffmann