[erlang-questions] Beginners tutorials

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Fri Jun 13 09:26:59 CEST 2014

On 12 June 2014 22:08, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:29 PM, rambocoder <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Cowboy "Hello World" can also be presented as 1 file, check out Elixir's
>> Plug Hello World example,
>> https://github.com/elixir-lang/plug/blob/master/README.md#hello-world
>

> *very* interesting - uses cowboy :-)
>
> Now why can't we do that? - this code is also superficially similar to the
> node version
> not a bad thing I think.

The immediate problem is that cowboy uses Erlang modules to inplement
handlers, and those are hard (impossible?) to do in escript. Any more
than that, and you've basically got the cowboy hello world example.

The problem with kids these days is that if it's not a web app,
they're not interested. So, the step from io:format("Hello World~n")
to even a simple web server _is_ a step; it's not a gentle slope. What
other examples could we come up with that bridge that gap?

--
Roger.